Parish Priest: Fr. Martin Nott
Address: The Presbytery, 13A Mill Lane, Great Dunmow, CM6 1BG Telephone: 01371 872550
1853 Mission chapel established in Mill Lane - ‘Immaculate Heart of Mary’.
The Mass centre opened and closed several times over the years until 1918 when the Diocese of Brentwood was established. Father Field was the first Parish Priest to the area, his accommodation was an obsolete tram car sited adjoining the Church entrance.
1930’s erection of a Church in Mill Lane.
1935 Catholic Women’s League founded in Dunmow. CWL meets on the first Wednesday of the month at 07.30 in the Church Hall.
Early forties church centre was erected in Thaxted, the building was presented by the Latham family to provide Mass in the area. This was followed shortly afterwards by Hatfield Broad Oak, an ancient building being long vacated and previously served by another denomination, purchased by the Diocese for £300 was very neglected and in urgent need of repair, broken windows with a leaking roof. With this new centre, Dunmow was now the largest parish by area in the Diocese.
Fr. Theophilus Borer from Alsace Lorraine was Parish Priest during the second world war until 1952, followed by Father, later Canon Goldingday.
1952 a sacristy was built adjoining the sanctuary.
1952 – 1954 a presbytery was built at the lower end of Mill Lane on a site generously presented to the parish by the well-known Wilson family for a nominal fee of £500.
1971 the present church was opened by Bishop Patrick Casey. At an estimated cost of £15,000 and named ‘Our Lady and St. Anne Line’.
Late seventies – a hall was built adjacent to the Church, Father Banks was Parish Priest at this time.
1984 Fr. John Garrett succeeded Fr. Banks. A new entrance was made at the rear of the church, an up-to-date heating system installed, the sanctuary moved to the East and the seating accommodation rearranged. The interior of the Church now presented an entirely new appearance.
1988 Fr. Gordon Godfrey succeeded Fr. John Garrett and installed his miniature railway in the garden of the presbytery.
2006 July Fr Gordon A Godfrey celebrated his golden anniversary.
2006 September Fr Gordon passed away after a short illness.
2006 December Fr Martin Nott was appointed to Dunmow parish from Stanford-le-Hope.
Information courtesy of Margaret Howett.